The Pareto principle or the 80/20 rule, as it is more commonly referred to, strongly applies to enterprise technology decision makers. In the majority of enterprises, 80 percent of a CIO’s time is spent on maintenance (or ‘To Keep the Lights On’, as they say) of the IT infrastructure. The remaining 20 percent is spent on new technology implementations or innovation.
With such a large chunk of time and energy being spent only on maintenance, there is little left for a CIO to invest in adding any tangible value to the business. Compounding the problem is the ever-increasing expectation from the top management who breathes down the neck of the IT decision maker demanding new revenue streams from them.
Therefore, it’s important for a CIO to break this stranglehold. Breaking this rule will not only help achieve better business-technology alignment (as a result of more agile teams, improved application performance, enhanced efficiency, and lower costs), it will also break the monotony in the CIO’s job, spurring them to deliver greater innovation for their enterprise.
The more visionary CIOs have managed to flip this principle. They have succeeded in putting in less time maintaining the infrastructure and more time in driving innovation. These technology leaders have realized that being a business innovator / technology innovator is not an either-or situation. They can be both. The key for a CIO lies in knowing exactly how to spend their money and time.
There are two main options for CIOs breaking this rule. The first is to adopt cloud computing, and the second is to implement a hyper converged infrastructure. Powered by the principles of agility, efficiency and simplicity, both these technologies have the potential to transform IT into an innovation centre.
Cloud offers CIOs a utility-driven model for their enterprises. With a pay-as-you-grow infrastructure, service provisioning, and a service-driven model, it enables easy scalability, efficient use of resources and elasticity in the consumption model. Hyper converged infrastructure, meanwhile, consolidates the various critical components in a conventional existing IT infrastructure into a single solution for easy manageability.
Tata Communications bouquet of cutting-edge IT solutions can help a CIO in their quest for innovation. The service provider’s one-stop cloud enablement platform, IZO, helps enterprises overcome complexity. It enables a more agile business performance through scaling seamlessly, expanding rapidly and staying flexible.
InstaCompute is a cost-effective, flexible hosted IT infrastructure solution – instantly providing the variable computing power needed to meet changing business needs. And UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service) delivers the full power of Skype for Business. It consolidates billing, reporting, SLAs (service level agreements) and management for a simpler solution, thereby enabling a CIO to focus on business and not infrastructure needs.
Only by building on legacy IT architecture and infrastructure and adopting new and disruptive approaches that provide enhanced reliability, performance, and efficiency can CIOs transform IT from a cost center to a profit center.